Pathology involves the study of the essential nature of diseases, especially the structural and functional changes produced by them in the body. It delineates the changes occurring within the body during illness, and the effects of the diseases on the organs and organ systems. This knowledge forms the basis for clinical diagnosis.
The department effectively caters to the needs of students by providing insights into the causation of disease. It also provides clinical laboratory services to patients visiting the hospital. The department offer a wide range of pathological investigations, many of which are unavailable elsewhere in Wayanad.
- To train students to examine tissues and body fluids to diagnose a disease.
- To provide prompt and accurate diagnosis.
- Complete Blood Count using 6part Automated Hematology Analyzer.
- Peripheral smear examination by experienced Pathologists.
- Coagulation work up using Automated Coagulation Analyzer.
- INR are being done on regular basis for diagnosing and managing coagulopathies.
- Sickling test
- Osmotic fragility test
- Myeloperoxidase test
- PAS test
- Coomb’s test
- Reticulocyte test
- Bone-marrow aspiration
- Bone-marrow biopsy
- FNAC (Fine needle Aspiration Cytology)
- Pap smear for screening of cervical malignancies
- Analysis of urine, pleural, pericardial, synovial and Cerebrospinal fluids are being done for
- Cell type
- Cell count
- Detection of malignant cells.
- Tissue biopsies The department plans to expand the division and start an Immunohistochemistry laboratory shortly. The department will soon start the Cryostat facility (Frozen section diagnosis), first of its kind in the district.
- Special stains
- Alcian blue
- PAS stain
- ZN stain
- Giemsa stain
- Congo red
- Von kossa stain
- Melanin bleach technique etc.
- 24 hours blood centre services.
- Whole blood and component separation facilities.