Dr. Moopen’s Medical College Hospital-formerly known as DMWIMS- was founded by DM Education and Research Foundation, after analyzing the needs and gaps in the health care facilities in the Wayanad area. It is the first Medical College in Kerala established in a backward, hilly & tribal district. It is also the first Medical College Hospital in North Kerala and one among the very few Medical College Hospitals in the country established in a rural area to receive NABH accreditation.
We are dedicated to transforming health through medical education, healthcare and medical research. We offer quality healthcare at an affordable cost. We are committed to providing high-quality medical education and training. We aim to improve the healthcare infrastructure and overall development of Wayanad.
Wayanad, a district in Kerala, was known for being one of the least developed areas in terms of healthcare. The district lacked proper medical facilities and healthcare services, with only a handful of inadequate hospitals. Despite government efforts, the district needed private support to meet the health needs of the local community, which was predominantly made up of tribals living below the poverty line. These people often had to travel long distances to access even basic medical treatment.
To address this issue, Padma Shree Dr. Azad Moopen established a medical college in Wayanad, which was the first of its kind in the district. The college was established with the aim of providing high-quality medical education, training, and healthcare at an affordable cost, thereby improving the healthcare infrastructure and overall development of the region. It is also one of the few medical colleges in the country that has received NABH accreditation.
- To develop best-in-class academic and clinical infrastructure with talented Faculty and Administration to provide the required atmosphere for imbibing knowledge.
- To create an ambience for holistic learning through constant interaction between teachers and students with ready access to the laboratories, libraries and patients.
- To keep meritocracy along with a passion for taking up the noble medical profession with all its sacrifices as the basis for selection of the students and aid in them ingesting this culture, while on campus.
- To create an atmosphere of innovation and research in the institution through the establishment of technology, systems and incentives for the students and faculty.
- To institutionalize best practices to bring together learning and healing by setting the highest standards in treating and teaching to happen in tandem, making quality healthcare accessible and affordable to the population we serve.
- To become a model campus for sustainability through facilitating harmonious coexistence of human beings and the green earth, preserving nature and restoring biodiversity.
To be one of the top medical institutions in India adopting global standards in education, research and innovation moulding healthcare professionals to serve the world with compassion and commitment, in harmony with nature.